The Association of Surfing Professionals announced Sunday that San Francisco will be home to the tenth event of their World Tour. Sometime between November 1st and 11th, thirty-five professional surfers will descend on the unpredictable waters of Ocean Beach to be crowned the Rip Curl Search ASP World Tour champion. Due to the erratic nature of waves at Kelly's Cove, the actual date won't be announced until officials know Mother Nature will cooperate.
It's been over a decade since San Francisco has hosted a professional surfing competition and Rip Curl, the main sponsor, is keeping the event low-key. You'll be able to sit back and enjoy the show because there won't be any expos, festivals or concerts. The best part is it's FREE, so come out to the beach and see some of the best surfers in the world tear it up.
1. Pack your own food and beverages. Ocean Beach doesn't have much to offer in the way of restaurants and what they do have is expensive, so bring your own and save a bundle of money.
2. Take MUNI. Parking will be a madhouse. Numerous lines begin and end at Ocean Beach. The 38, 38L, and 31 lines will drop you closest to the event.
3. Wear warm clothes. It's going to be cold and breezy. Average temperature in November in the Outer Sunset is mid-50's.
4. Bring a blanket or folding chair to sit on. Any public seating will fill up fast so don't count on finding a spot.
5. Come early. Since Mavericks was cancelled this year, the event is expected to be crowded.